Additional images for download: (entire, uncropped image shown)
Cercis canadensis ‘Whitewater’
Cercis canadensis ‘Whitewater’ is a stunning redbud from the talented Dr Dennis Werner of North Carolina. A combination of vivid variegation with a broadly weeping habit make this a tree that can make a statement. Deep rose-purple pea shaped flowers cover bare branches April to May followed closely by heart shaped leaves that emerge mainly white with some flecks of green and mature to mostly green with flecks of white. The weeping habit simply adds to the appeal of this lovely small tree, average height and spread at maturity approximately 6′ tall and 2′-3′ in width.
For other examples of the brilliant Cercis breeding from Dr. Dennis Werner see; ‘Ruby Falls’ a weeping mahogany leaved variety and ‘Merlot’ a semi-upright vase shaped variety. Both share drought tolerance once established, both hold their color in the heat and are excellent for smaller yards, patios and large containers. All are unique and sure to add interest to any setting.
Description / Plant Notes:
- USDA Zone 6 (-10°F or -23°C)
- Dark rose-purple sweet pea like blooms borne on the bare stems in early spring
- Deciduous, heart shaped leaves emerge pure white developing green as the leaves expand
- Upright vase shaped habit, 6′ x 4′
- The perfect weeping tree for smaller sized yards
Patent Status: USPP #23,998