Introduction to PlantHaven
PlantHaven International, Inc. is a market-leading, new plant introduction company. We are independently owned, and well-respected for our confidential and professional, market lead approach to new plant introduction. We assist new plant breeders and the industry to profit from new variety introductions and promotion.
PlantHaven is a dynamic small private company with seven full-time employees. Our Plant Project ManagementTeam works closely with our licensee clients to successfully launch new varieties onto the ornamental market.
PlantHaven’s portfolio of ornamental varieties includes: Ornamental Trees, Shrubs, Tropical Crops, Perennials and Volume Color Lines. Our portfolio of breeder clients are based within the U.S. and overseas. Their portfolio of product is presented by our team of industry professionals to companies in all applicable global markets.
Head of Horticulture
In this position the successful candidate will work closely with our CEO to manage our Horticulture Team of Plant Project Managers; responsible for the introduction, promotion and management in both domestic and global markets of unique plant selections. Overall goal to maximize our independent breeder client returns.
New Plant Introduction – Workflow
Successful plant introduction can take up to five years for a new variety to move from breeder to commercial release.
The PlantHaven Team develops a strategic plan for each variety: (a) whether to represent, (b) trial location selection, (c) which nurseries to license, (d) determining the plant protection policy and plan, and (e) how to support the variety and the licensee(s) in the production and on-going promotion of the variety. Workflow will vary with the team from project to project depending on the different stages of the process.
- Work with CEO to create dynamic trialing and introduction strategies to implement with the Plant Project Management Team. Track progress with projects and licensing. (20%)
- Develop relationships and communicate with key breeder clients and licensees. (20%)
- Manage CAST, Fall Open House, and key industry events. (20%)
- Prepare key project summary reports for Team and Breeder clients. (20%)
- Maintain accurate, consistent records in the Project Managers database. (10%)
- Strategize and implement optimum marketing for strongest ROI. (10%)
PlantHaven’s work is time critical. The successful candidate will have a high degree of self‐organization and personal action planning. PlantHaven projects require a great deal of prioritizing and progress tracking in order to achieve critical dates and maintain the momentum of each plant project.
This position requires a candidate with a highly personable disposition and natural enthusiasm for proactive communication by telephone, video conference and e‐mail.
This position is especially suited to someone with an outgoing, enthusiastic personality who enjoys new product development and interacting with propagators and marketers.
The successful candidate will be required to be involved in a certain amount of PlantHaven travel for industry trade shows, conferences and visits both domestically and globally.
Qualifications and Experience
The position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field, combined with a minimum of five years of relevant commercial management experience in ornamental horticulture.
An outgoing personality and experience in the processes of introducing new plant varieties will be an advantage.
PlantHaven’s work is intimately concerned with its clients’ intellectual property. Breeders and licensees expect and receive a high degree of commercial discretion and confidentiality. This position carries a requirement to comply with PlantHaven’s Confidentiality and Non‐Disclosure Policy.
Head of Horticulture
Commencement: April 2017
Job Posting: Close date of job posting Friday, March 17, 2017
• Full time position (40 hours per week)
• Position is based in the Santa Barbara, CA head office (this is not a remote position)
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance (Company pays 100% of premium for the employee)
• Three weeks paid vacation
• Sick Leave time
• 401(k) Plan with eligibility after 3 months’ service
• 401(k) Safe Harbor Profit Sharing Plan with eligibility after 1 year of service
To apply for the position:
Please submit all of the following required information to be considered. Email your information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter
- Three (3) professional references (they will not be contacted without prior approval).
- PowerPoint presentation “Your thoughts and observations on how to be a successful new plant introduction company in North America: 2018-2022”
Please no phone calls.
We will be diligently detailed in our selection as we view this as a key position in our senior management team.